General Information for Costa Rica In-Country Flights – Nature Air
Breaking News – Nature Air had just invested $2.5 Million in four new LET-L410 aircraft that transport 19
passengers each. The new planes will bring passengers more quickly and in greater comfort to Crocodile Bay Resort.
Nature Air flights are far from your average mile-high experience. The views from the over-sized Vistaliner windows on our Twin Otters are not to be missed. They’ll have you seeing things differently at 10,000 feet up in the sky. Have you ever witnessed the crater of an active volcano from a bird’s eye perspective, or spotted towering waterfalls in the heart of the jungle, perhaps never seen before from the ground? This is why we skip the overpriced peanuts and lulling inflight movies. Why spend long hours on Costa Rica’s poor and lengthy road system when you could have your feet in the ocean in under an hour?
Day of flight
- How early must I arrive before my international flight?
Check-in in San Jose for flights to Bocas del Toro, Panama or Managua, Nicaragua is 2 hours prior to scheduled departure, and closes 1 hour prior to departure.
- Where is Nature Air’s San Jose terminal located?
Nature Air is located in the Juan Santamaria Main Airport (SJO), 20 km west from the capital San Jose.
- What legal documents are required for domestic and international flights?
Valid Passport or Costa Rican ID or residence card must be presented at all airports to guarantee boarding for domestic flights. Valid Passport is required for all passengers for international flights.
- What if my flight is canceled?
Nature Air is not responsible for cancellations due to poor weather conditions. It is recommended that passengers acquire travel insurance, which should cover the costs derived from delays or cancellations of this type. However, Nature Air will allow passengers to reprogram travel to final destination on the next available flight, or on a different date that is more convenient for the passenger. For cancellations not related to poor weather conditions or forces beyond our control, reimbursement will be given.
What is your baggage allowance?
Your Nature Air ticket permits up to 40 lbs. of checked baggage per person.
All passengers have the right to check one bag with a maximum size not exceeding 50 linear inches / 127 cm. (length + width + height). Any luggage exceeding weight allowance (40lbs ) and/or size will be subject to space availability and charged according to the excess luggage fees below. Over-sized luggage or bags exceeding 60 pounds will be charged as cargo and subject to space availability.
The allowance (FLEX) for your luggage if you have purchased a Travel Package through Crocodile Bay Resort is 40lbs. See details below regarding fishing equipment and or surfboards.
Excess luggage must be paid for at the airport prior to travel. The following fees apply:
|1 to 5 pounds||$7|
|6 to 15 pounds||$20|
|16 to 30 pounds||$40|
|31 to 60 pounds||$60|
- *Special exceptions include: Surfboards, Golf Clubs, Fishing Equipment, Strollers, Baby Car Seats, bicycles, musical instruments and others are subject to space availability at airport at the time of check in, charges or fees for these articles is $30.00usd per flight. If the luggage is not accepted on the same flight as the passenger, Nature Air assumes the responsibility of sending luggage on the next available flight, and the passenger is responsible for arranging pick-up from the airport.
- All passengers may bring one piece of carry-on luggage as long as it does not exceed the 10-pound weight limit and a maximum size not exceeding 33 linear inches / 84 cm. (length + height + width). Any carry – on luggage exceeding the maximum weight and/or size will be considered and charged as excess luggage.
- For passengers exceeding their baggage allowance, please allow extra time at the airport to pay the excess. Our check-in facilities will close 40 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time of the flight. Passengers who fail to complete check-in procedures by this time will not be able to travel.
- Remember, all luggage is subject to space availability and cannot be guaranteed transfer on the same flight as the ticketed passenger. In case regular luggage is denied boarding to meet operational weight or safety requirements, Nature Air assumes the responsibility of sending it to the passenger’s final destination (up to 5 miles away of final airport destination) during the next 24 hours.
- Excess luggage for Tortuguero and Punta Islita will be charged round trip in San Jose the day of your first flight, since we do not have ground staff to proceed with this charges.
The following items CANNOT be carried in your hand baggage:
- Toy or replica guns (plastic or metal)
- Aerosol sprays (suntan lotion, deodorant, bug spray etc.)
- Water samples
- Household cutlery
- Knives with blades (of any length)
- Razor blades
- Tradesmen tools
- Knitting needles
- Sporting bats
- Billiards, pool cues
- Hypodermic syringes
Other dangerous articles that cannot be carried:
For safety reasons, dangerous items such as those listed below must not be carried in your carry-on or checked baggage (list includes but is not limited to):
- Cigarette lighters/matches (not permitted in carry-on baggage to any destination)
- Aerosol sprays (suntan lotion, deodorant, bug spray etc.)
- Water samples
Compressed gases – refrigerated, flammable, non-flammable and poisonous such as butane, oxygen, liquid nitrogen, aqualung cylinders
- Corrosives such as acids, allis, mercury and wet cell batteries
- Explosives – Fireworks, flares, sparklers or other explosives
- Flammable liquids and solids such as lighter fuel, paints, thinner and firelighters
- Radioactive materials
- Briefcases and attached cases with installed alarm devices
Oxidizing material such as bleaching powder, peroxides
Weapons such as disabling sprays e.g. tear gas, mace, pepper spray
- Firearms and a limited quantity of ammunition may be carried subject to proper packaging but you must contact us in advance
- Poisons and infectious substances such as insecticides, weed killers and live virus materials
- Other dangerous articles such as magnetized material, offensive or irritating materials
Nature Air will do its best to send surfboards on your flight or the next available Nature Air flight to your destination. Nature Air will not be held responsible for the delayed arrival of surfboards due to operational or space issues.
If a surf board is delayed, the passenger will be fully responsible for picking the board up at the destination airport at a later time or date as coordinated by Nature Air.
Surf boards longer than 6.6 feet can only be transported with a purchase of 3 additional seats due to space limitations.
Confirmation of space can only be given on day of departure at the gate. Reservations are not accepted.
Longboards and Kayaks are not accepted at all, due to space restrictions.
We do not accept bikes if not in a proper protective bag.
All bikes are subject to space and weight availability.
- Wheels must be deflated for transportation.
- Only one bike per flight and per bag.
- Confirmation of space can only be given on day of departure at the gate as reservations are not accepted.
Our Customer Service Department will be happy to arrange for a Nature Air representative to help passengers with special needs (i.e. parents traveling with small children, passengers with mobility restrictions, etc.) when notified of the specific requirement(s). If a passenger(s) require(s) some form of assistance, it is important to notify the reservations personnel so that it is noted on the reservation, thus ensuring that airport personnel can prepare in advance.Collapsible wheelchairs, canes, crutches, walking frames and other mobility aids or medical equipment are carried free of charge and not as part of your normal baggage allowance. A wheelchair is available at Juan Santamaría Airport and the Liberia Airport only. Electric wheelchairs are not permitted at this time due to local Civil Aviation Regulations.
For more information contact Lynch Creek Travel at 1.800.733.1115